Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Unschooling or Autodidacticism???

I just finished reading this blog entry -- http://journeytoself-sufficiency.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-unschooling-means-to-me.html -- this sounds a lot like how we do things in our home.  Funny thing is when I first started our home education journey back in 2005 I thought unschoolers were crazy and now I think I might fit the label (the unschooling part and the crazy part... LOL!)  I just have to say that I do not like using the word school for what we do.  A school is a place with teachers, classrooms and large groups of children.  We do not do that.  We learn, we are self-educated (isn't the word for that autodidacticism? Yep -->   Autodidacticism (also autodidactism) is self-education or self-directed learning. An autodidact is a mostly self-taught person, as opposed to learning in a school setting or from a full-time tutor or mentor.)

No comments: