Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Thursday, December 23, 2010
It has been a full day… I am off to bed soon but I need to shut down my computer so I am going to store my “to be read” links here:
WHAT THE GRINCH AND EXPECTATIONS HAVE IN COMMON - http://simplemom.net/let-go-of-christmas-expectations/
THE GIFT OF STRONG WORDS - http://blog.dayspring.com/2010/12/the-gift-of-strong-words.html
WHY YOU DON’T HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING PERFECT THIS CHRISTMAS - http://blog.dayspring.com/2010/12/why-you-dont-have-to-make-everything-perfect-this-christmas.html
ARCHIVES OF BE MORE: DO LESS - http://www.bemorewithless.com/archives/
101 MOST INSPIRING QUOTES -- http://celestinechua.com/blog/101-most-inspiring-quotes-of-all-time/
GREAT TASTE, NO PAIN - http://www.greattastenopain.com/nl/10/01_03/01_01_10.asp
HOW TO MAKE SPIRITUAL SMALL TALK - http://lisanotes.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-make-spiritual-small-talk.html
JORDAN’S XMAS GIFT (SHHH, HE DOESN’T KNOW YET) – BED OPTIONS - http://www.jysk.ca/allrecentlyviewproducts.aspx
ok… that’s all…. goodnight folks!
a message we need to hear…
Francis moves out of the valley, leaves Cornerstone church and moves on…
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Long story short…. someone stole our trunk from the store. The owners were very apologetic about the whole incident. They refunded our money. So now Wes and I are trying to figure out what to do to replace the trunk.
Wes went in to town today to pick up Deanna’s xmas present. We had purchased a very large trunk at the local second hand furniture store. She has been wanting a hope chest for long time, so this was the perfect gift. BUT the store no longer has said trunk. I am not sure what the story is but it is gone, even though we had already paid for it!!!! I am very NOT happy at the moment. Now what am I suppose to get her?
101 IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF
1. Heavy rains in California - http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=heavy_rains_flood_parts_of_c_211210?ref=ccbox_weather_topstories -- it rained pretty bad when we were in California back in January 2010 but not quite this bad.
2. Hoping for good driving conditions in the mountains this weekend. I have family that will be driving through them. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cabc0247?ref=topnav_weather_savedcity
3. Frugal Babe talks about doing xmas their way… they have already opened their gifts… and other things … - http://frugalbabe.com/2010/12/20/christmas-our-way/
If you know the King,
you worship at a throne of Grace. You worship the God who is all-powerful and has all authority in heaven and on earth. You worship the God who is the only one who can tell you who you are. Listen to the truth.
This holiday season, stand in truth and walk in the confidence of your position as a child of God. If you feel anxious or defensive or angry around certain people this time of year, hold tight to your identity in Christ, and ask God to help you love and see people how He does.
Maybe you need to carve out a moment of still to ask God how He sees you.”
5. Did you catch the lunar eclipse last night? (I didn’t but here is a great picture.) - http://blog.boomerphoto.com/2010/12/21/december-21-winter-beginscontinues-lunar-eclipse/
6. The gift of (strong) words -- http://blog.dayspring.com/2010/12/the-gift-of-strong-words.html
7. A new blog to check out – BE DIFFERENT, ACT NORMAL -- http://www.bedifferentactnormal.com/ -
8. I love these t-shirts from WILD OLIVE TEES - http://wildolivetees.com/ - (thanks to the Pioneer Woman for sharing about them.)
9. And Dave Black sums things up so well…
7:38 AM Looking forward to studying the book of Acts again together this morning. Much of what we call "church" today originated, not in the New Testament, but in post-apostolic times.
The Lord's Supper has changed from a celebration to a ceremony.
Worship has changed from participation to observation.
Witness has changed from relationship to salesmanship.
Leadership has changed from servanthood to professionalism.
Mission has changed from being missionaries to supporting missionaries.
Body life has changed from edification to entertainment.
Buildings have changed from functional to sacred.
Child care has changed from the hands of parents to the hands of strangers.
The book of Acts shows us that the need great of modern Christianity is to return to biblical faithfulness and the profound simplicity of the New Testament.
10. okay… I think I may be able to go to sleep… all the words on the screen are starting to blur. Nighty-night!
and that means I can’t sleep even though I am dog tired. So here I am at 12:41pm wandering the house. I figure why not make some tea and post some pictures. :o) The tea is almost ready…
LOOK at what I got from Wes!
A Kitchen Aid mixer has been on my want list for a long time.
Isn’t it pretty!
Deanna finally got the tree up on Monday night. She wanted to do it earlier this month but we have been so busy that it just had to wait. But it all worked out. Papa was home from his away job, so him and Nana were able to be here for it.
Remember a while ago I wrote about the PERPLEXUS. We had seen it at a friend’s house and Jordan became fixated with it. So I ordered one from Chapters and it finally came in the mail today. Both Jordan and Deanna gave it a try. When we were at the Erickson’s, Jordan was able to get up to 96 on the track (out of 100) and then we had to leave. But at midnight tonight there was a knock at my door asking me to come and take a picture…
Jordan had finally conquered the Perplexus… he made it to the 100 spot.
Way to go Jordan!
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
1. FICUS TREE -- http://www.ficustree.com/
2. A MAGICAL BLOCK OF TIME: WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY DIGITAL SABATICAL - http://rowdykittens.com/2010/09/a-magical-block-of-time/
3. BE MORE WITH LESS: LIFE ON PURPOSE -- http://www.bemorewithless.com/archives/
4. LAINES LETTERS - https://freegroups.net/groups/laines_letters/
5. ARTICLES ABOUT CHRISTMAS (I haven’t read all of these, they are here for me to go back and read at a later date)
Sunday, December 19, 2010
1. 6 TYPES OF TOXIC FRIENDSHIPS AND HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM - http://www.ivillage.com/6-types-toxic-friends-and-how-you-can-deal-them/4-a-283671
2. ALTERNATIVE TO WRAPPING PAPER - http://love2learn2day.blogspot.com/2010/12/alternative-to-christmas-wrapping-paper.html
3. PELICAN SIT ON TOP KAYAK - http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Apex-80-Kayak-Yellow/dp/B002XUAK4Q/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1292775594&sr=8-10
4. MAKE YOUR OWN LIP BALM - http://lovinglifeslittlemoments.blogspot.com/2010/12/last-minute-christmas-gift-idea-diy-lip.html
5. PRAY THIS WAY - http://www.alanknox.net/2010/12/pray-this-way/
a comment from Alan on this post:
Guy and John,
Have either of you read Brother Lawrence’s Practice the Presence of God? He expresses a desire to see God involved in every conversation. Specifically, when I am praying and someone walks up, that person is not interrupting my prayer, but joining in a three way conversation.
6. WORDSMITHERY - http://smallworldathome.blogspot.com/p/wordsmithery.html
8. FEED SOMEONE – A MINI MISSION - http://www.bemorewithless.com/2010/feed-someone-mini-mission/
There are many ways to feed someone and to be fed. We are all hungry for different things at different times.
We hunger for love, sleep, success, a vacation, and of course, food. If you are reading this, then it is possible, that like me, you hunger for less.
Saturday, December 18, 2010
We have to go to Sundre, then Olds, then Red Deer and then back to Innisfail today. Today there will be picking up my niece for a sleepover, singing at a wedding, shopping, more shopping, a couple of meals out, a movie, and sending Deanna off to a sleepover and then home. I am exhausted all ready!
I am off to take on the day!
Friday, December 17, 2010
"Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out."
– Tina Turner.
Thursday, December 16, 2010
2 lbs. ground beef
1 pkg. Stove Top stuffing for chicken
1 cup water
1 bottle barbecue sauce
1 (16 oz.) can cranberry sauce
Line 2 - 15 x 10 x 1 pans with foil and spray with cooking spray. Mix first 4 ingredients. Shape into balls the size of walnuts and place on pans. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes until done. While they are baking, mix barbecue sauce and cranberry sauce in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add meatballs to sauce and coat evenly.
has been a whirlwind of activity and business. It is hard to believe we are so close to Christmas. What have we been up to?
- Christmas party for Deanna (with her volunteer group at the thrift store)
- Shopping trip for Deanna without Mom (I don’t like shopping so Deanna was thrilled to go without me)
- building a horse shelter and hanging a new gate
- dinner with friends
- going to Peak Theatre (play was “Maggie’s Getting Married)
- doing laundry with a friend as a gift for someone (a gift of service)
- numerous choir practices
- numerous choir performances (locally and out of town)
- choir xmas party
- Mug Up
- Deanna helping out Nana wrapping gifts (she loves wrapping gifts)
- Deanna volunteering at the Thrift Store
- picking up my nephews from school
- Deanna babysat twice
- birthday party for my nephew and then having friends and family over afterwards
- meeting with our facilitator in Red Deer
- attended a musical recital that our friend Nicole was performing in
- lots of music practice (Jordan is teaching himself some Christmas songs)
- kids working for the ranch
- new animals arrived for Deanna’s petting zoo (xmas gifts)
- attending a xmas concert for our nephews
so that brings us up to date …..
what else is happening for the rest of the month?
- a birthday gathering for a friend of Deanna’s
- going to watch the movie “Voyage of the Dawn Treader”
- a sleepover for Deanna
- Christmas gift shopping
- menu planning and shopping for the next two weeks
- decorate the xmas tree
- wrapping gifts
- two trips to the Calgary airport
- my cousin Stephanie and her family staying with us for a week
- visiting my grandparents
- xmas dinner with Wes’s family
- xmas dinner with my family
AND of course all the every day things that need to be done and all the things that jump into our schedule.
I am looking forward to a quiet January (hopefully it will be quiet). :o)
Pizza Cups from theTaste of Home. Here it is:
• 1 tube (11.3 ounces) refrigerated dinner rolls
• 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
• 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
• 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
• 2 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni, chopped
• 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
• Separate dough into eight rolls; cut each into quarters. Press dough
• onto the bottom and up the sides of miniature muffin cups coated
• with cooking spray.
• Spoon pizza sauce into each cup. Sprinkle with onion, green pepper,
• pepperoni and cheese. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until
• crusts are browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 32 appetizers.
These are so good. The kids love them for lunches, and they are great for a party food.
These two guys are my favorite podcasters --
We are two guys who have been encouraging each other in the journey outside the bounds of institutional religion for several years now and share many of our candid thoughts and questions in our podcast, "Beyond the Box".
We don't claim to have a corner on the truth, and there doesn't seem to be any topic or question that is "out of bounds" in our discussions. As we say in the intro to each podcast, we're just two guys thinking out loud, exploring the wide open spaces of our freedom in Christ. Come with us and explore life beyond the box!