Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

You want me to love THEM?

I really enjoy Alan’s blog. And today’s entry is good… (http://www.alanknox.net/2010/10/love-above-all/ )

When Paul was writing to the believers in Colossae, he told them how to live as “God’s chosen ones” (Colossians 3:12-15). And, at one point, he writes:

And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. (Colossians 3:14 ESV)

Similarly, when Peter was writing to believers scattered around the Roman empire, he told them:

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8 ESV)

Above all… love. Both Paul and Peter write this to some of their readers.

Did they really mean “above all”? Isn’t there some circumstance or situation in which we are not required to show love? Isn’t there some person to whom we are not required to show love?

Or, did they actually expect believers to show love in all circumstances and situation and to all people?

 

I was once listening to a podcast, and it was talking about love as well.  At the time I was struggling with some people I did not like very much, who were doing terrible things to the people around them.  And as I was listening the hosts were saying that in these situations we were to treat them like the tax collectors and the prostitutes and such and my thoughts immediately jumped to the conclusion that I had found my loop hole in not having to love these awful people in my life.  But then came the light, and the hosts said… and how did Christ treat them?… he loved them.  Wow… I didn’t see that coming in my sinful state, but I should have.  Yes, we are to love them too.

Yes, we are to love in all circumstances, all situations and all people.  Without God’s help and leading it is not possible, but with Christ all things are possible.   :o)

No comments: