Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

a good story…

 

this came to my email inbox today…

“When my son Jacob was four years old I taught him to play the game "I Spy".  
In case you forgot how to play this simple game, or (gulp) you've never even heard of it,
let me refresh your memory.
In the game "I Spy", one person mentally finds an object within view and completes the
sentence, "I Spy something that is _______" by sharing the COLOR of the object.
For example:  You might spot a blue t-shirt and would announce, "I Spy something that
is blue."
Then, the other players take turns guessing what item you selected.  The winner gets to
take your place in choosing the next item and so on.
So, back to the story.  One day Jacob and I were seated in a couple of chairs at the front
of a discount clothing store waiting for my wife to pay for some items.  We decided to
play the game.
When it was Jacob's turn, he said something like this:
"I Spy something that is red.";  
"That is over there." (Pointing);  
"That is on that door.”;  
"That has white around it.";  
"That has the word 'Exit' on it."
Hmmm, "Is it that 'Exit' sign?" I asked.
"Yes, daddy, that's it!" he said as if I had cracked some code with my brilliant
deduction skills.
I told him, "Son, you shared and shared and shared until it was obvious what it was.  I
didn't have to guess hard to figure it out."
At that moment, something hit me.
Isn't that what God expects from you and me?
Oh, not to play some childhood games, but rather to share and share and share of our
time, talents and resources until it's obvious to all around that we care.
Doesn't God want us to share so much that it doesn't take much guessing to figure out
where our hearts are?
Wouldn't it be wonderful for those around us to be able to say of you and me,  "I Spy ...
someone who cares"?
May we use our words and our deeds to share the love of our Savior.  Let us pledge here
and now to share and share and share some more in the Name of Jesus Christ.”

No comments: