Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

WHAT TO READ?

I have been pondering books to read, and books I have read.  Of course I approach this question from the position of being a mom to homeschoolers.  What books should they read before "graduation"?  What books made an impact on me, which are memorable?  In many circles it is said one should have a variety of classics under their belt.  But why?  What makes these titles classics?

So I have been looking at a variety of book lists.  And I have been asking friends what books they recommend, which books made an impact in their lives?  Here are some responses and lists I have looked at:


responses
- the Bible
-  any biography of Eric Liddell, then watch Chariots of Fire
- Through Gates of Splendor
-  The Hiding Place
-  Biographies of missionaries
-  Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli
-  Maniac Magee (Jerry Spinelli)
- The Anne of Green Gables books
-  Lord of the Flies
-  Oliver Twist
-  Gerald Durrell's books
 -  The Busy Mom's Guide to Simple Living : Creative Ideas And Practical Ways for Making the Most Out of What You Have by Jackie Wellwood
-  Keith Green's biography
-  Stormie Omartians biography

links to lists
-  reading list for college bound students
-  40 non-fiction books everyone should read
-  1000 good books list
- classic books to enhance your learning
-  100 classic books collection
-  classic books everyone should read
-  books that impact thinking

I am sure I could find hundreds of different reading lists.  But I guess I don't just want just any list.  I want books that will help prepare the kids for their life, the world, their relationships with others, books that aren't just a good story but will make them better people.

I am not much of a novel reader myself.  I prefer books like what I mention above..... that help with life and all it includes.

What books do I want my kids to read before "graduation"?  Hmmm.  I don't know for sure.















No comments: